- This event has passed.
IMI | Structural Coalition Webinar: Structural Design of Masonry Storm Shelters
February 10, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm UTC+0
Structural Design of Masonry Storm Shelters – 1 LU/HSW
Wednesday, February 10, 2021 | 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Central Standard Time
Presented by: FORSE Consulting
Learn about updated storm shelter provisions per IBC 2015 and ICC 500, including examples of storm shelter concept designs. We’ll discuss the requirements for the design and construction of storm shelters to safeguard the public health, safety, and welfare in high-wind events, like tornadoes and hurricanes. Focus is on best practice for the design of masonry structures to accommodate high wind loading and storm shelter provisions of the code.
- Briefly review key aspects of effective and efficient structural masonry design
- Evaluate when and where we need to design a storm shelter to protect the public health, safety, and welfare
- Gain an understanding of what is essential in storm shelter design per current code provisions, and what changes need to be made from a typical masonry design
- Explore concept shelter designs and their structural system options
- Highlight how software can help us design shelters more effectively and efficiently
About the Speaker
Brady Golinski, PE
Structural Engineer, FORSE Consulting
Brady Golinski joined FORSE in August of 2013 as a Structural Engineer. He is experienced in a wide range of building materials including steel, cold-formed steel, masonry, concrete, precast concrete, and wood. Project designs include recreation centers, medical office buildings, university buildings, and tenant improvement projects. At FORSE, Brady supports several masonry coalitions by working on numerous masonry projects, writing white papers, and creating and delivering presentations. Brady is based in Denver, Colorado.